The Claiborne Parish NAACP is on the search for high school students, educators and parents who would like to get involved in their ACT-SO Program.
ACT-SO stands for Afro-Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientic Olympics.
They will be holding a meeting this Saturday, November 4, from 10 a.m. to noon at the Claiborne Parish Library.
They are looking for motivated high school students who are interested in pursuing their academic, business and creative dreams while participating in enrichment activities in preparation for competing locally for medals, prizes and a chance to compete nationally.
Participants can compete in up to three of the following categories:
- Business: Entrepreneurship;
- Humanities: Music Composition, Original Essays, Playwriting, Poetry and Short stories;
- Performing Arts: Dance- ballet, Dance – contemporary, Dance – modern, Dance – traditional, Dramatics, Music instrumental – classical, Music instrumental – contemporary, Music vocal – classical, Music vocal – contemporary, Oratory, Poetry performances;
- STEM: Architecture, Biology/Microbiology, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Computer Science, Earth/Space Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Medicine/Health, Physics;
- Visual Arts: Drawing, Filmmaking, Photography and Sculpture
For more information or to RSVP to the upcoming meeting please email ACT.SO@gmail.com or call 318- 433-3032.
Volunteers are also needed.